Most people in organisations work in teams. Improving teamwork can lead to long term improvement in business effectiveness. This note is about team building workshops. There are many other ways of improving team working.
- Have a clear, attractive and shared long-range vision
- Are clear what steps need they need to take to achieve their vision
- Have excellent internal communications. Everyone can contribute, and everyone listens well
- Are able and willing to influence the organisation outside the team
- Have members that give each other accurate and helpful feedback
- Have positive and effective team meetings
Team building starts with a meeting with the team’s manager, followed by a meeting with the team members and the manager. Sessions with individuals may be helpful if there is a lot of conflict in the team. At the end, we create a design that suits the team’s particular needs. The workshop takes one to two days, depending on the number of people in the group and their needs. There is a follow-up session six weeks to three months later.
The results of this approach include:
- Members appreciate that they all want the same future
- More agreement on priorities and clearer plans to reduce ineffectiveness.
- Vastly improved mutual listening and support
- Managers develop rapidly because of enhanced feedback and support
- Substantial progress on critical business issues
Quotes from two teams
Communication and delegation have improved out of all recognition
Everyone is feeling far more confident. We are more effective.